Majority of Canadians oppose Trudeau’s plan to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees over in just six weeks: poll

BY AILEEN DONNELLY

The majority of Canadians oppose the government’s plan to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees in the next six weeks, and the most common complaint is that there isn’t enough time, a new poll shows.

More than half of Canadians (54 per cent) either moderately or strongly oppose Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plan to bring 25,000 refugees over by Jan. 1, 2016. Meanwhile, 42 per cent moderately or strongly support the plan, according to an Angus Reid Institute poll conducted three days after terrorist attacks killed 129 people in Paris.

Of those who oppose the Liberal government’s refugee plan, the majority (53 per cent) cite tight timelines as their main concern, saying they fear it’s too short to allow for appropriate security checks. Another ten per cent think 25,000 refugees is just too many, while eight per cent say the plan is too expensive. The Liberal government has not released details of their plan, including how they will get all the refugees to Canada and how much it will cost.

Almost one-third (29 per cent) of those who oppose the Liberal plan say Canada should not take in any refugees from the war-torn region. That means about 16 per cent of all poll respondents (those who support and oppose the plan) want to close the nation’s borders to Syrians.

Opposition is highest in Alberta (62 per cent) and lowest in Atlantic Canada (46 per cent).

The poll suggests that Premier Brad Wall is on the right side of public opinion in Saskatchewan.

On Monday, he sent a letter urging Trudeau to slow the intake of Syrian refugees to ensure Canadians aren’t threatened by “malevolent” terrorists.

“I am concerned that the current date-driven plan could severely undermine the refugee screening process,” he wrote.

In Saskatchewan and Manitoba, 59 per cent of respondents opposed Trudeau’s plan and only 36 per cent supported it.

Trudeau reaffirmed his ambitious election promise on Tuesday after several municipal and provincial leaders suggested he was more concerned with speed than security.

“We continue to be very much committed to keeping Canadians safe while we do the right thing to engage responsibly on this humanitarian crisis,” Trudeau said.

Public opinion has changed only slightly in the wake of the attacks allegedly carried out by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists. At the end of last month, another Angus Reid poll found that 51 per cent of Canadians opposed the refugee plan, while 39 per cent said they support it. That survey showed that the refugee plan was the second-most-opposed part of the Liberal platform.

The online survey of 1,503 Canadians — a representative randomized sample drawn from members of the Angus Reid Forum — was conducted on Nov. 16. A probability sample of this size carries a margin of error of plus-or-minus 2.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

$200,000 worth of electrical items stolen

Surrey: Police in Surrey is looking for the public’s assistance in locating some high value electrical equipment that was stolen from the same company during two separate thefts.

On October 29th Surrey RCMP was notified that two very large electrical transformers weighing 600 lbs and 14,000 lbs respectively were taken from a business located in the 19000 block of 27th Avenue. Almost two months earlier on August 26th, several pieces of industrial-grade electrical equipment were damaged and valuable internal materials were stolen from the same business. The total value of the losses has been estimated at approximately $200,000.

“The two transformers in question are very large and extremely heavy and would have required vehicles with lifting equipment and several persons to complete the theft,” says Surrey RCMP Sergeant Paul Hayes. “We are hoping that members of our community will come forward if they have any knowledge about these incidents or think that they have seen the large electrical transformers being stored or hidden somewhere.”

Anyone with more information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.solvecrime.ca.

Shoplifters and a Stolen Rifle – Pictures!

Langley: RCMP in Langley is seeking the public`s assistance with the following investigations:

2015-36499

Police allege the pictured individual stole liquor from the Berezan Liquor Store on Ocober 29th.

2015-36715

Photograph of Fox & Hound Liquor Theft Suspect #1

Photograph of Suspect #2 in Fox and Hound Liquor theft

The two pictured males entered the Fox and Hound Beer & Wine Store in Aldergrove on October 30th. It is alleged they left the store with several bottles of vodka they hadn’t paid for. It is believed they left on foot eastbound on 32nd Avenue.

2015-38814

Photograph of Case for Stolen Rifle

Photograph of Stolen Ruger Rifle

The pictured rifle was stolen from a vehicle parked in the 5800 block of 200 Street. The rifle is described as a Ruger 10/22 (Takedown, .22 Calibre model) with a mounted Burris E1 scope. The rifle was stored in a ‘bob allen’ brand green case, as pictured.

Unfortunately the owner did not record the serial number and this oversight presents a reminder for all of us – maintain a record of your personal belongings. Please click here to access a template that might be helpful when creating your own inventory.

If you have information that might assist with any of these investigations, please call Langley RCMP at 604-532-3200. Should you need to remain anonymous, please call CrimeStoppers:

There are four ways to leave an “anonymous tip” with Crime Stoppers.

Talk: 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)

Type: www.solvecrime.ca

Text: BCTIP and your message to CRIMES (274637)

Facebook: www.facebook.com/metrovancouvercrimestoppers

Province launches MRI strategy, funds increased number of scans

Demand for medical imaging in B.C. has never been greater. Premier Christy Clark and Health Minister Terry Lake today announced a new four-year strategy for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) services to help health authorities increase patient access to MRI scans.

“With an ageing population, health authorities face increasing demand for medical imaging services,” said Premier Clark. “This is what having a strong, growing economy allows us to do – invest in a new strategy to address waitlists throughout the province, and continue to deliver the services British Columbians depend on.”

“We recognize that access to MRIs has been a challenge and this strategy will make sure we better meet the health care needs of British Columbians now and into the future,” said Health Minister Lake. “By improving how we manage MRI diagnostics, we can provide families with peace of mind that comes with faster diagnosis and treatment.”

The MRI strategy takes a two-pronged approach. The first priority is to increase the number of scans—adding up to 65,000 more annually by the end of four years to help address increasing demand and existing wait lists. The ministry and health authorities will also review the governance, service delivery and funding models for MRIs, to ensure an accessible, sustainable medical imaging system.

“We see the difference access to MRIs make in the lives of patients each and every day,” said Dr. Stuart Silver, clinical section head and acting medical director, medical imaging services, Island Health. “On the ground, we look forward to the strategy enhancing patient care and improving speed of diagnosis to get people back to their lives.”

Health authorities are currently finalizing plans for increasing their MRI volumes, including how quickly increases can be put in place. Health authorities have committed to increase the number of MRI exams performed annually by 45% by year four of the strategy. Budget allocations for MRIs will increase correspondingly, providing up to an additional $20 million in annual funding for these services by year four. Health authorities will also be developing plans for improving timeliness, ensuring appropriate referrals for service and increasing geographic access to MRIs in the future.

MRI scan volumes will be increased by extending operating hours for MRI machines, so more patients can be served each day. This means that some patients will be scheduled to receive their scans during evening or night-time hours. Health authorities may also contract private facilities to perform additional procedures.

British Columbia’s strong economic growth and fiscal discipline have enabled government to return a dividend to British Columbians by investing to further improve patient access throughout B.C. Over the past decade, B.C. has acquired 16 new MRI scanners for hospitals, for a total of 25 – a 178% increase. This has helped B.C. significantly increase the number of MRIs done in the public system over the past 10 years from 67,030 in 2004-05 to over 143,000 in 2014-15.

Health authorities will also provide more evidence-based guidance to physicians to ensure they order the best type of scan to meet each patient’s specific medical needs. MRI scans are important diagnostic tools; however different types of medical imaging can be used to diagnose certain conditions. In some cases, an x-ray, ultrasound, Computed tomography (CT) or Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scan may be more appropriate.

Ensuring the right advanced imaging service is provided to British Columbians in a timely fashion will help manage wait lists and provide for smarter, more effective service at the patient level. Today’s announcement supports government’s priority of timely and appropriate access to needed health services through a truly integrated health care system that works for patients.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a safe and painless test that uses a magnetic field and radio waves to produce detailed pictures of the body’s organs and structures. MRIs are used to diagnose a number of medical conditions, including abnormalities of the brain, as well as tumours, cysts and soft-tissue injuries in other parts of the body.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Advocates Against Hatred And Racism In Aftermath Of The Terrorist Attacks On Paris

Manila, Philippines

18 November 2015

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, issued the following statement today advocating against acts of hatred and racism directed at specific Canadians in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Paris:

“Following the terrorist attacks in Paris, I have noted with deep regret a number of highly disturbing acts aimed at certain Canadians, including the fire at the mosque in Peterborough, the smashing of windows at a Hindu temple in Kitchener, and the attack on a Muslim woman in Toronto.

“Diversity is Canada’s strength. These vicious and senseless acts of intolerance have no place in our country and run absolutely contrary to Canadian values of pluralism and acceptance.

“The Government of Canada strongly condemns such actions and, along with law enforcement agencies, will protect the rights of innocent Canadians being subjected to such abuse.

“Canadians understand that religious groups around the world suffer persecution regularly at the hands of violent extremists. Our focus must be on stopping the people responsible for the terror, and continuing to fight hate by embracing Canadian values.”

Traffic stop leads to dial-a-dope arrest

Surrey: RCMP in Surrey arrested  two young adult males  during a traffic stop which led to the seizure of multiple controlled substances, prohibited weapons, and other evidence consistent with a dial-a-dope operation.

On November 8th, 2015 a Surrey RCMP General Duty officer was conducting pro-active patrols in the area of 134th Street and 92nd Avenue when they located a suspicious vehicle in the area. After initiating a traffic stop, the officer’s investigation resulted in the detention of the two occupants of the vehicle. A subsequent search revealed evidence consistent with drug trafficking including a small amount of crack cocaine and two prohibited weapons (sawed-off shotgun and bear spray). Upon arrival at the Surrey RCMP’s cellblock, a secondary search by officers revealed two separate packages of controlled substances, believed to be cocaine, concealed internally by the individuals.

The suspects, both 18 year old residents from Surrey, are facing a number of drug and weapons charges and have been released on a Recognizance of Bail hearing under strict conditions. Of note, both individuals have limited police contact and do NOT appear to have any direct links with those believed to be engaged in ongoing drug conflicts in the city.

“The arrest of these individuals demonstrates the pro-active efforts our officers are taking towards disrupting the sale of illegal drugs on our streets and the threat of violence that comes with it,” says Surrey RCMP Sergeant Paul Hayes. “Unfortunately it also highlights how young people continue to get caught up and preyed upon by those involved in the illegal drug trade and face serious risks to their health and safety as a result. The tactic of concealing controlled substances internally prior to arrest is extremely dangerous and can lead to severe medical issues and even possibly death. Further, police are trained to recognize these types of concealment.”

Anyone with further information about drug trafficking in your neighbourhood is asking to contact the Surrey RCMP’s non-emergency number at 604-599-0502 or, if they wish to remain anonymous, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPs or www.solvecrime.ca.


U.S. created Taliban, not us, says Farooq Abdullah

Sambhal, (Uttar Pradesh), Nov.18 (ANI): National Conference chief Farooq Abdullah on Wednesday blamed the United States of America for rising terrorism across the world and demanded an explanation from President Barack Obama for giving financial assistance to countries encouraging terrorism.

“I want to ask United States of America as who gave training to these terrorists. Who created Taliban? Is there a good Taliban or bad Taliban, terrorists are terrorists. What are they doing in Syria? They(USA) are the ones who encouraged terrorism and now telling India to take action against terrorism. Terrorism around the world is given by west. These attacks around the world are done by the terrorists which have been trained by United States,” Abdullah told the media here.

“First United States should give an explanation of giving financial assistance and weapons to countries in which terrorism are encouraged. So, before pointing fingers at others they should look at themselves,” he added. (ANI)

Anonymous publishes ISIS recruiters’ names, addresses

London, Nov. 18 (ANI): Hacker group Anonymous that had declared a war on Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has published details of alleged ISIS recruiters and took at least 5,500 Twitter accounts down.

According to the Mirror, the masked hacking group declared war against the Islamic State in the wake of the Paris attacks, vowing to silence extremist propaganda and expose undercover operatives.

Now it has leaked details of at least five men it claims are recruiters for ISIS.

Anonymous activists also claimed to have identified a “high-ranking” recruiter living in Europe, but have not yet published an address.

Anonymous is now compiling a massive list of Twitter accounts and web pages ahead of a large cyber-assault due to take place later this evening.

Val Kilmer offered role in ‘Top Gun 2’

Washington D.C., Nov. 18 (ANI): Val Kilmer might be reprising his role as ‘Iceman’ in ‘Top Gun 2.’

The 55-year-old actor posted a message on his Facebook wall, saying “I just got offered Top Gun 2 – not often you get to say ‘yes’ without reading the script,” Us Weekly reported.

Kilmer also said that an actor should say ‘yes’ when they have an option to work with Tom Cruise, Gene Hackman, and Francis Coppola. However, the actor later clarified that Coppola and Hackman were not involved in the sequel.

Kilmer played the role of `Iceman` in 1986’s Top Gun alongside Cruise, Kelly McGillis, and Anthony Edwards.

Will love to work with Khans, says Kalki Koechlin

By- Mehak Sabharwal

New Delhi, Nov. 18(ANI): Like many other leading ladies in the tinsel town, Kalki Koechlin also wishes to work with the Khans and when it comes to the traditional loves stories, she would definitely try her hand in one.

When asked about her dream cast, the 31-year-old actress told ANI that she would love to work with the Khans, especially with Shah Rukh Khan because she thinks he is fantastic and charming as well.

Talking about her dream director, the ‘Margarita With a Straw’ star revealed that Vishal Bhardwaj tops her list because she thinks he is a fine blend of both artistic alternatives and commercial cinema.

Kalki, who strongly believes in the Japanese saying, “‘Today better than yesterday worst that tomorrow,” also said that she would like to try her hand in traditional love stories because for her, it’s not about not wanting to do commercial roles, it’s about fitting in and doing something she can pull off convincingly.

Further, when the thespian actress was asked if she would like to wear a director’s hat some day, she joked that she doesn’t have spare money in her pocket.

Kalki will be next seen in Nicholas Kharkongor’s directorial ‘Mantra’ alongside Shiv Pandit and Rajat Kapoor. She will be seen in the character of Rajat’s rebellious daughter, who always wants more from life.