‘Jurassic World’ sequel now has a title!

New Delhi : The ‘Jurassic World’ sequel is just a year away and now, it has an official title!

Universal Pictures took to its Twitter handle to share the first poster for the sequel, revealing its official title – ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.’

The image, bearing some fiery debris, echoes back to the very first movie with the tagline, “Life Finds a Way” – a line Jeff Goldblum says in ‘Jurassic Park.’

Goldblum, who starred in the first two films in the ’90s, will reprise his role as Ian Malcolm in the new film.

Jurassic World stars Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard return as raptor trainer Owen Grady and love interest and park operations manager Claire Dearing.

The sequel is scheduled to hit the theatres on June 22, 2018.

Trump asks why Obama admin didn’t stop Russia from meddling

New Delhi, June 22 (ANI): As U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday decried allegations of Russia collusion “a big hoax,” he sardonically questioned why the Obama administration did not stop Moscow from election meddling as it happened under the previous regime.

Trump fired off a series of tweets and said, “By the way, if Russia was working so hard on the 2016 Election, it all took place during the Obama Admin. Why didn’t they stop them?”

“Why did Democratic National Committee turn down the DHS offer to protect against hacks (long prior to election). It’s all a big Dem HOAX!”

“Why did the DNC REFUSE to turn over its Server to the FBI, and still hasn’t? It’s all a big Dem scam and excuse for losing the election!”

“I certainly hope the Democrats do not force Nancy P out. That would be very bad for the Republican Party – and please let Cryin’ Chuck stay!”

His tweets come a day after former Homeland Security Advisor Jeh Johnson testified before the House Intelligence Committee that he hadn’t seen any evidence that Trump or his campaign “colluded, conspired or coordinated” with the Russians – a charge often levied against Trump by detractors, who’ve yet to produce evidence backing the claim.

India’s population to surpass that of China’s around 2024: UN

UNITED NATIONS: India’s population could surpass that of China’s around 2024, two years later than previously estimated, and is projected to touch 1.5 billion in 2030, according to a UN forecast.

The World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision, published by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, said that currently China with 1.41 billion inhabitants and India with 1.34

billion remain the two most populous countries, comprising 19 and 18 per cent of the total global population. “In roughly seven years, or around 2024, the population of India is expected to

surpass that of China,” the report said.

The 2017 Revision of World Population Prospects is the 25th round of official UN population estimates and projections. In its 24th round of estimates released in 2015, it was projected that the population of India will surpass that of China’s by 2022.

The new estimates released here today said that in 2024, India and China are expected

to have roughly a population of 1.44 billion each. After that, India’s population is

projected to continue growing for several decades to around 1.5 billion in 2030 and

approaching 1.66 billion in 2050, while the population of China is projected to remain

stable until the 2030s, after which it may begin a slow decline.

India’s population may eventually see a decline in the half century after 2050 to 1.51

billion by 2100 but it will still be the most populous country in the world.

Police arrest second Abbotsford teen in Lower Mainland gang conflict

BY STEPHANIE IP

Abbotsford police seized a number of drugs and have arrested an 18-year-old man in relation to the ongoing gang conflict throughout the Lower Mainland.

A search warrant was executed June 7 at the home of Akshay Sachdeva, 18. During the search, police found several controlled substances, including Fentanyl.

Police said Sachdeva had been identified as being linked to the Lower Mainland gang conflict that first started as a drug turf war in the Townline Hill neighbourhood of Abbotsford. The investigation has since been expanded and now includes officers and suspects from other jurisdictions.

Sachdeva has since been charged with four counts of possession for the purposes of trafficking in controlled substances. At the time of his arrest, he had been released on conditions relating to a May 2017 assault charge.

News of the arrest was shared exactly a week after Abbotsford police arrested another teen related to the same ongoing conflict.

Inderdeep Minhas, 18, was arrested June 14 after he failed to appear in court on three gun-related charges.

Abbotsford police continue to investigate and ask anyone with information about the conflict to call 604-859-5225 or text 222973 (abbypd). Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Anyone who needs help or advice relating to gang involvement can email helpyouth@abbypd.ca or call 604-864-4777.

Mississauga man charged for stealing $12K from donation boxes at local mosques

By David Shum Global News

A 58-year-old man has been charged with multiple counts of theft after $12,000 went missing from six mosques in Mississauga, Ont., earlier this month.

Peel Regional Police said the thefts consisted of money being stolen from donation boxes at six religious faith centres between June 4 and 17.

Police said the suspect would enter the mosques during opening hours and either steal the locked donation boxes or break into them and remove the money.

In two of the cases, the accused managed to enter the mosques after hours and take the cash.

Ashraf Awad of Mississauga was arrested and charged with five counts of theft under $5,000, one count for theft over $5,000, two counts of break and enter and theft, and one count of break and enter instruments.

Anyone with information on this investigation is asked to call investigators at 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at (905) 453–2121, ext. 1233 or Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Indo-Canadian, Del Manak appointed police chief of Victoria

Katie DeRosa / Times Colonist

JUNE 13, 2017

After three Victoria police chiefs hired from outside the department left amid controversy, the police board has appointed Victoria-born-and-raised Del Manak to lead the Victoria Police Department.

Manak, 52, was named Victoria’s top cop three weeks after former chief Frank Elsner stepped down amid two ongoing misconduct investigations.

Manak has served as interim chief since December 2015.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said the police board broke with tradition and decided not to hold a province-wide or nationwide competition for the chief’s job. Board members interviewed members of the senior command, front-line officers and community members to get feedback on Manak’s performance as interim chief.

“He’s got the smarts, he’s got the passion, he’s got the experience and he has come up within the ranks of this department,” Helps said at a news conference at Victoria police headquarters.

It’s the first time in 26 years the department has promoted a chief from within the ranks. The police board has typically hired chiefs from outside the department, which has rankled some deputy chiefs.

Elsner was the third police chief to leave the department amid controversy.

Bill Naughton was appointed interim chief after Paul Battershill was forced to resign in August 2008 when he was accused of having an affair with a police board lawyer. Naughton was passed over for the job in favour of retired Vancouver police chief Jamie Graham, who was twice found guilty of misconduct.

Manak, who became deputy chief in 2010, was also passed over for an outsider when Elsner, then chief of Sudbury police, was hired in January 2014 to take the reins from Graham after he retired.

Manak said in 24 years with the department, he’s hired almost a quarter of the staff. He acknowledged the department has faced uncertainty amid the allegations against Elsner and said he’s proud of how his officers have conducted themselves during a difficult time.

Manak promised to bring a “sense of stability” and a “sense of strong leadership” to the job.

He said hiring from within sends a message to officers moving up the ranks that they have a chance of landing the top job one day.

Manak said trust between police officers and the public has eroded in other countries, alluding to police shootings and the Black Lives Matter movement in the United States. “We want to avoid this divide and embrace the diversity of our communities.”

He became emotional when thanking his wife, Nicky, 17-year-old son, Rajan, 15-year-old daughter, Kamryn, and 80-year-old mother, Avtar, for their support.

Manak attended George Jay and Central Middle schools before graduating from Mount Douglas Senior Secondary.

His first job was as a paper boy at age 13, delivering the Daily Colonist and working up to sub-manager. He worked at Canadian Tire and volunteered at the Fairfield community police station and the youth detention centre while trying to break into policing.

He was hired by Vancouver police in 1990, spending four years there before joining Victoria police.

Manak worked five years in the Victoria police traffic section and was a collision analyst. He was officer in charge of human resources and ran the department’s patrol division.

“So, to have come up through the ranks and be in a leadership position, I really have an opportunity to connect with our young students and be a role model and inspire them,” said Manak, who received the Order of Merit of the Police Forces in 2010.

Manak has been a visible presence in Victoria and Esquimalt council chambers and at community meetings since taking over as interim chief. He successfully argued for more funding for two new mental-health officers and raised concerns about the demands on frontline officers as they police the region’s urban core.

kderosa@timescolonist.com

 

Gunman dressed as UPS employee fatally shoots 3 at San Francisco warehouse

By Staff Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO – A man dressed in a UPS uniform and armed with an “assault pistol” opened fire at a United Parcel Service Inc package sorting hub in San Francisco, killing three people before turning the gun on himself, police said.

Police did not identify the suspect or say if he was a UPS employee. They told a news conference the incident was not terrorism-related and they recovered two firearms from the scene.

United Parcel Service vans are seen parked outside a UPS facility after a shooting incident was reported in San Francisco.

Two other people were shot and have been taken to an area hospital, police said.

The shooter and the victims were all drivers, said Steve Gaut, head of investor relations at UPS. The incident took place while the workers were gathered for their daily morning meeting before going out on their routes, he added.

Gaut said the facility’s employees have been released from work and he believes most have left the building. The company is providing trauma and grief counseling to employees.

“The company is saddened and deeply concerned about affected employees, family members and the community we share. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those touched by this incident,” UPS said in a statement.

Victims were taken to the Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, spokesman Brent Andrew said. He said he could not say how many patients were taken to the hospital or give their conditions.

In 2014, a man shot and killed two of his supervisors before turning the gun on himself at a UPS distribution center in Birmingham, Alabama. The gunman had recently been fired from the facility.