Aman Sanghera charged in 2015 hit and run

Surrey RCMP has concluded the investigation into a 2015 hit and run investigation with charges now being sworn against a 27 year old Surrey man.

On April 6, 2015 at approximately 5:45pm, a police officer was conducting a traffic stop in the 12600 block of 92nd Avenue when he heard a noise. The officer observed a newer silver car driving away eastbound on 92nd Avenue and a person lying on the road.

The officer attempted to stop the fleeing vehicle however it failed to stop and was last seen travelling north bound on 128th Street through the intersection at 96th Avenue. Emergency personnel attended and located an 85 year old victim with serious injuries. The victim is recovering from the collision and is reported to be in stable condition.

The Surrey RCMP Criminal Collision Investigation Team (CCIT) led the investigation with assistance from the Integrated Collision and Reconstruction Service (ICARS). A thorough investigation was presented to Crown Counsel who approved charges.

Aman Sanghera, 27 years old, of Surrey, is now charged with Fail to stop at an accident causing bodily harm and Dangerous driving. Sanghera was arrested on November 3rd, appeared in court, and has subsequently been released pending his next court date.

“Hard work by investigators and intersection cameras helped to lead investigators to Sanghera who is alleged to have been the driver,” says Corporal Scotty Schumann.

Jawahar Singh Padda of Gateway Pizza in Surrey charges with four counts

Surrey: RCMP arrested the owner of Gateway Pizza, Jawahar Singh Padda on November 1st after police was called to Gateway Pizza.  Mr. Padda was taken into custody and later released on $25,000 bail.  Mr. Padda is facing four charges, including pointing a firearm, uttering threats, forcible confinement w/o lawful authority and assault.  Padda is expected to re-appear in front of Judge on November 24th 2016.

Surrey RCMP arrest six males allegedly linked to gun violence

Metro Vancouver — It was with “a joyful heart” that Surrey’s mayor joined the officer in charge of the Surrey RCMP on Monday to announce that police had made more headway in the fight against street-level gun violence in the city.

“Today is a day to say we’ve made another round of significant progress with these most recent arrests,” Linda Hepner told reporters.

On Friday, investigators arrested six males linked to a conflict over drug turf involving low-level members of two groups of dial-a-dopers.

Police released the names and photos of four men who have been arrested and charged. Baltej Singh Gill, 18, of Surrey, is charged with one count of conspiracy to commit the indictable offence of recklessly discharging a firearm. Gill was previously arrested in connection with an unrelated incident and charged with four firearms offences. Himmat Singh Virk, 18, of Surrey, is charged with two counts of conspiracy. Randeep Singh Johal, 18, of Surrey, is charged with one count of conspiracy. Manpreet Michael Johal, 24, of Delta, is charged with two counts of conspiracy.

Also charged is a 16-year-old young offender, who cannot be named because he was under the age of 18 at the time of the alleged offences. The Surrey youth is charged with four firearms-related offences. A sixth man — a 24-year-old from Surrey — has been arrested but has not yet been charged. His name was not released.

Assistant Commissioner Bill Fordy, who is also the acting officer in charge of Surrey RCMP, said the men were arrested after they were “strategically targeted” by police.

Investigators received information that individuals had plans to commit a drive-by shooting. Surrey RCMP teamed up with the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit and Lower Mainland emergency response team to investigate and conduct the arrests.

“These arrests and charges stem from an ongoing investigation — a series of ongoing investigations that flow directly from shots fired complaints and incidents that have played out on our streets over the past five months,” Fordy said.

Fordy told reporters that he’s confident that there will be more announcements about arrests related to the conflict the coming months.

Public safety is a priority, Fordy said, and he believes these arrests have prevented further violence from playing out on Surrey streets, where there have been a total of 51 shootings — both related and unrelated to the conflict — since the beginning of 2016.

He said that since March, there have been 30 arrests related to the conflict. Fifteen firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition have been seized. He could not say how many charges have been laid against those individuals. Their cases are currently before the courts.

Hepner said the next step is for the courts to deal appropriately with those who are convicted of gun-related crimes in Surrey. She said she has spoken to federal and provincial politicians on the subject.

“I think that what is happening now on our streets is so unacceptable that when these folks get before the courts I hope the courts recognize the severity of a crime utilizing a gun on city streets and come down with a full — with some very significant acknowledgment in the punishment phase of this should all of those who are currently before the courts be found guilty,” she said.

Surrey-Tynehead MLA Amrik Virk, who is also a former police officer, said he thinks all people in society generally want to see the toughest possible sentence imposed.

“I expect the full weight of the law to come down upon these individuals,” he said.

Surrey trucker Dhillon faces multiple charges after U.S. crash kills woman

BY JENNIFER SALTMAN-The Province

Surrey -A Surrey, B.C., truck driver has been charged in connection with a fiery crash that killed one person and injured numerous others on an Ohio highway last month.

Rahmatkarn Singh Dhillon, 24, is charged with aggravated vehicular homicide, aggravated vehicular assault and a traffic violation.

On the afternoon of July 31, Ohio State Highway Patrol responded to a six-vehicle crash on Interstate 76 (also called the Ohio Turnpike) in Austintown Township.

According to a police news release, all vehicles involved were travelling west on the turnpike when the crash happened. Three vehicles in the left lane had slowed and two in the right had stopped due to a lane closure, but a Volvo tractor-trailer unit driven by Dhillon apparently failed to stop and drove down the middle of both lanes, striking three vehicles — one of which hit a fourth — and then plowing into a Dodge Caravan.

The Caravan, which had two adults and two children inside, was pinned against the right side bridge wall by the trailer and caught fire. The trailer also caught fire.

According to reports, bystanders helped remove the driver of the minivan, Michael Gardner, and his children from the vehicle. His wife, 44-year-old Stacy Gardner, was trapped in the rear of the van and died at the scene.

Eight people were injured, including Michael Gardner and his children. Dhillon and two others were uninjured.

On Aug. 3, bond for Dhillon was set at $150,000 cash or surety. According to court records, that bond has not yet been posted.

The case has been bound over to the court of common pleas in Mahoning County, Ohio, to await the action of the grand jury.

According to Facebook, Dhillon received his Class 1 driver’s licence in January.

A person named Rahmatkarn Dhillon who is also 24 years old has had three violation tickets in the past two years, according to online court records.

On April 6, 2013, he was issued a ticket in Richmond for failing to wear or improperly wearing a seatbelt.

He was also ticketed in September 2014 for speeding and passing on the right in Hope.