Surrey is up to 30 shootings in 2016 after two this weekend

By Kim Bolan

April 3, 2016

Surrey RCMP is confirming two more shootings this weekend, one leaving a man with serious injuries.

That makes 30 shootings so far this year, higher than the level in 2015.

The latest happened about 5:45 p.m. Sunday at the corner of 88th Avenue and 132 Street.

Two vehicles were at the intersection on a red light when the suspect vehicle opened fired on the victim vehicle.

“The suspect vehicle was last seen travelling south on  132 from 88 and the victim vehicle was last seen travelling north on 132 from 88,” S.Sgt. Dale Carr said in news release. “No injuries have been identified at the time of this release.  The suspect vehicle was described as an SUV and the victim vehicle as a car.”

He said Surrey RCMP serious crime investigators are continuing to obtain information from several witnesses that were at or near the intersection.

And the Lower Mainland District Forensic Identification Section attended the scene and were able to gather several pieces of evidence that could advance this investigation, he said.

He said there are “no arrests or suspects at this time, unknown at this time if linked to any other shooting in recent history.”

The earlier shooting happened Saturday in the 12200-block of 92 Avenue just before 8 p.m.

S.Sgt. Blair McColl said a man “suffering from injuries was transported to a  local hospital in serious condition. The injury is not life threatening.”

He said investigators determined that a vehicle was seen fleeing the scene shortly afterward the shooting.

“There is no suspect vehicle description available at this time,” McColl said.

Shots fired calls lead to increased enforcement and significant drug seizure

The Surrey RCMP is continuing to increase its proactive enforcement and expand its investigational avenues to deal with the number of shots fired incidents that have occurred in the city this year, says  the Surrey RCMP .

“Since January 1, 2016, the Surrey RCMP has received 28 confirmed complaints relating to shots being fired, with a recent increase in March.” said Superintendent Shawn Gill on April 1st at the press conference.  ” While this year’s incidents are not believed to involve the individuals engaged in last year’s drug conflicts, the majority still involve those associated to the drug trade. Five of the 28 incidents are believed to be associated to a new drug-related conflict between two groups.”

To date, five injuries and one fatality have resulted from these incidents. Nine calls involved shots being fired into a residence or building, and two files resulted from a bullet casing being found but no reports of shots being fired. The majority are occurring in the evening between the hours of 9:00pm and 6:00am.

After making over 800 arrests and detentions last year, we disrupted those who were involved in the drug conflicts last year, says Superintendent Manny Mann, Investigative Services Officer. The investigations into the recent shootings are progressing well. We are making headway thanks to the cooperation of the public and the intelligence gleaned through our enforcement efforts.

Police officers from the Surrey RCMP and the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit (CFSEU-BC) are involved in overt enforcement action to proactively and strategically target individuals in the drug trade.

Superintendent Shawn Gill, Community Services Officer, leads the proactive enforcement for the detachment. We are attacking this situation now and we are attacking it aggressively, says Supt. Gill. With the intelligence we are receiving, our proactive enforcement teams are making it very difficult for these people to conduct their illegal business in our city.

Some success has been already realized, with 4 arrests and a significant drug seizure.

On March 16, 2016, Surrey officers were conducting proactive enforcement in Newton. They stopped a vehicle and the driver was found to be transporting a substantial quantity of illicit drugs including heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, fentanyl, and fake Oxycontin. This drug seizure is one of the largest in Surrey’s history and valued at over 4.5 million dollars. Pardip HAYER, 30 years old from Abbotsford, has been charged with four counts of trafficking in a substance under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

The drug trade is constantly changing. The individuals change and the drugs change, but the problem remains the same – young people are being lured into this criminal lifestyle with illusions of money and power, but the reality is much different, says Supt. Gill. We have an issue that goes beyond police – it involves the entire community. It involves parents, schools, prevention programs, and community involvement. For our part, we are working day and night to suppress both the violence and drug trafficking in Surrey.

“We have observed an increase in street level violence over the past four weeks and are committed to bringing the persons responsible before the courts,” says Assistant Commissioner Bill Fordy, Officer in Charge of the Surrey RCMP.  “We continue to appeal to the public for information on those involved in the drug trade. Our priority remains the safety of our citizens.”

“I was in Surrey earlier this week, meeting with RCMP and visiting with recipients of Civil Forfeiture and Criminal Forfeiture proceeds who are working specifically on programs to keep vulnerable young people from gang involvement and protect victims of other forms of violence,” said Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Morris.  “I am very impressed with the work being done by RCMP and integrated teams like CFSEU-BC – not just in targeting and arresting gangsters and making significant drug seizures, but also for the proactive community work they do through programs like SMART, End Gang Life and the Surrey Wrap Program which will continue to have positive impacts down the road.”

Since this press conference on April 1st, 2016,  the number of shootings have gone up from 28 to  31 shootings.  There is hardly a day that goes by without a news of another shooting.  Now these recent shootings has accelerated  to  public areas and in broad daylight.

ICBC rates could go up by 6.7% due to fraud, rise in claims

CBC

ICBC says a spike in injury claims and fraud will likely force it to increase basic auto insurance rates this October by as much as 6.7 per cent.

The Crown corporation says its payouts for pain and suffering, future care and loss of wages rose 10 per cent last year to $2.17 billion.

CEO Mark Blucher says if ICBC were to ask for a rate increase today, it would seek 6.7 per cent — which is the maximum allowable under current legislation.

But Transportation Minister Todd Stone said on Monday such a hike would be “unacceptable” and he is working with the provincial insurance company to minimize the rate hike.

“While the number of crashes is relatively unchanged, ICBC is also reporting more crashes with multiple injuries than ever before, with more cases being potentially fraudulent,” said Stone.

“Just last month, ICBC released a media bulletin about a ‘jump-in’ scheme, where it was able to determine only one individual was in an accident, but two other relatives fraudulently filed bodily injury claims,” said Stone.

Toronto seniors falling prey to ‘distraction theft’ cons, police warn

Police say that thieves are targeting senior citizens who speak little to no English in a series of ‘distraction thefts’

Thieves are preying on seniors, particularly those who speak little English, Toronto police are warning.

Police report four “distraction thefts” with similar tactics this month alone, between Aug. 17 to 21.

Each time, police say, a woman approaches a senior citizen and asks for directions. The woman distracts her victims by giving them worthless jewelry while stealing expensive jewelry, such as rings and necklaces. Before the victims realize their jewelry is missing, the fraud artist is driven away by a male suspect.

Police are urging the public to be on their guard against these ploys and report any suspicious behaviour to police.

To help alert the community, Crime Stoppers has released a series of YouTube videos in English, Portuguese, and Italian.

Police believe there may be other victims.

Crime Stoppers’ reenactment of a series of ‘distraction thefts’ targeting seniors in the GTA. Videos have been produced in English, Portuguese and Italian.

This isn’t the first time a string of distraction thefts have hit Toronto. In 2014, a Scarborough widow lost irreplaceable jewelry including her wedding ring to a ‘hugging’ distraction thief.

Police also dismantled an international organized crime ring responsible for a series of distraction thefts across southern Ontario and Quebec in 2012.

Bidesi facing trial in Surrey murder gets 30 months jail for Richmond shooting

Sheila Reynolds-Surrey North Delta Leader

A convicted killer who was scheduled to go to trial this week in the murder of a Surrey man at a 2011 Christmas Eve party was recently found not guilty of the attempted murder of another man in Richmond.

Russell Bidesi, 24, is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Bradley McPherson in Surrey. His trial for the McPherson murder was to begin Monday (Aug. 17), but was delayed when Bidesi’s defence lawyer withdrew.

Court documents indicate late last month Bidesi was found not guilty of attempted murder and convicted of a lesser charge in a Richmond case where he was accused of shooting another man in the chin.

In a July 24 B.C. Supreme Court decision, Bidesi was found guilty of attempting to cause bodily harm and was sentenced the following week to two-and-a-half years in prison.

It was early morning Nov. 20, 2011 – just over a month before McPherson was shot – that Bidesi and Harpreet Sandhu were at a hotel party in Richmond. Court heard that while they had a “cordial” relationship, the two got into an argument outside that turned into a brief altercation. One of Bidesi’s friend’s punched Sandhu and another pulled out a gun and waved it around.

Moments later, a cab pulled up and when Sandhu and his friends went to take it, Bidesi ran towards the taxi, carrying his friend’s gun. There was an argument and Bidesi pointed it at Sandhu. The gun fired, hitting him in the chin.

Bidesi argued he pulled the gun only to intimidate Sandhu and that it fired accidentally – a defence the judge did not buy.

But while Justice Barbara Fisher found the shooting was intentional, she said there were aspects of the evidence that raised doubts that Bidesi intended to kill Sandhu, resulting in the bodily harm conviction rather than attempted murder.

Crown recommended a 30-month sentence, while defence lawyer Darcy Lawrence sought an 18-month prison term.

“The Crown’s proposed sentence of 30 months is reasonable,” said Fisher in her reasons. “If Mr. Bidesi were being sentenced to the completed offence, I would consider a sentence at least in the three‑ to four‑year range. A sentence of 30 months … properly takes into account the nature of this offence as an attempt, in light of the serious circumstances in which it was committed.”

In May, Bidesi was also found guilty of manslaughter in another separate case where a 31-year-old Surrey man was shot to death.

Kacey Rogers was gunned down through the window of his home in 2012 during a home invasion. Bidesi was initially charged with second-degree murder in Rogers’ death, but convicted of the lesser charge of manslaughter. He’s scheduled to be sentenced in that case on Sept. 17.

His next court date in connection to the McPherson murder is Sept. 3, to fix a new trial date. Lawrence was initially going to defend Bidesi in that case as well, but said Monday he had to back out for ethical and professional reasons.

Bidesi has been in custody since February 2012.

Large turnout in Sullivan for first Neighbourhood Safety Presentation

On Monday evening, approximately 170 residents of the Sullivan community turned out for the Surrey RCMP’s first neighbourhood Engagement Presentation as part of its new Neighbourhood Safety Campaign.

Sullivan residents heard from Officer in Charge, C/Supt Bill Fordy, about current policing initiatives in their area, followed by presentations on auto theft and reporting crime, and a question and answer period with C/Supt Fordy. Those in attendance were also introduced to their local Newton District Commander, Sgt Marc Searle, who discussed ways that residents can get involved in making their neighbourhoods safer.

“I am grateful to the community of Sullivan for their openness to this new initiative,” says C/Supt Fordy. “I am committed to improving the Surrey RCMP’s proactive engagement with Surrey communities and Sullivan has shown that Surrey residents are eager to have these open dialogues with police.”

Monday’s presentation was the first in a series of Engagement Presentations designed to address crime concerns in specific neighbourhoods, and provide residents with information to mobilize their community and enhance safety in their neighbourhood.

Upcoming Engagement Presentations:

  • Clayton – February 5th at Katzie Elementary (6:30pm)
  • Morgan Crossing – February 12th at Morgan Elementary (6:30pm)
  • Whalley – February 24th at Forsyth Road Elementary (6:30pm)
  • Fleetwood – March 4th at Coast Meridian Elementary (6:30pm)

Registration and information for the Engagement Presentations is available at www.surrey.rcmp.ca (click “Neighbourhood Safety Campaign” under “Policing Highlights”).

Some federal laws police and spies can use to fight extremism

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA – Some federal laws police and spy agencies can use to fight extremism:

Anti-Terrorism Act: Significant changes passed following the 9-11 attacks. Defines terrorism, provides for listing of terrorist entities, spells out penalties for taking part in, facilitating, financing terrorism. Strengthens security of information law. Continue reading “Some federal laws police and spies can use to fight extremism”