Karman Singh Grewal, and Elson Blue Joy charged in Fentanyl and Cocaine bust

By Caley Ramsay

Global News

Two people from British Columbia have been charged following a drug seizure in Grande Prairie earlier this month.

More than one kilogram of cocaine and nearly 150 fentanyl pills were seized from two Grande Prairie homes on Oct. 13.

The seizure came following a month-long investigation by members of the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams and Grande Prairie RCMP.

The following items, worth more than $150,000, were seized from the homes:

  • 1 kilogram of cocaine
  • 146 fentanyl pills
  • 155 grams of marijuana
  • 175 millilitres of GHB
  • Two body armour vests
  • $56,120 cash proceeds of crime

“The seizure and the disruption of this criminal group will help to reduce the negative community impact created by the local drug trade,” Supt. Don McKenna with the Grande Prairie RCMP said.

“This seizure highlights the importance of a coordinated provincial effort to stem the movement and sale of controlled substances.”

Karman Singh Grewal, 24, of Langley, B.C. has been charged with two counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking, possession of drugs and possession of proceeds of crime.

Elson Blue Joy, 22, of Kelowna, B.C. has been charged with possession for the purpose of trafficking, possession of drugs, possession of proceeds of crime, possession of stolen property and possession of body armour.

Watch Below: A member of the RCMP Clandestine Lab Enforcement and Response Team demonstrates how fentanyl pills are made, during a conference in Edmonton Thursday.

The number of fentanyl-related deaths in Alberta has drastically increased over the past five years. In 2011, there were six deaths in the province connected to the drug; that number spiked to 274 deaths in 2015.

In the first six months of 2016, 153 people in Alberta died from apparent drug overdoses related to fentanyl.

Surrey man writes to Trudeau claiming political persecution by India

By KIM BOLAN

“Because of my campaign for Sikh rights, it’s my belief that I have become a target of an Indian government campaign to label my human rights campaign as terrorist activities,” his letter said.

Over the weekend, The Times of India quoted a Punjab police intelligence report claiming Nijjar is wanted in a 2007 cinema bombing, is now the leader of a group called the Khalistan Terror Force and is running training camps for militants near Mission, B.C.

The report said India would be requesting Nijjar’s extradition.

The Canadian government has not responded to the allegations in the report. Nijjar told The Sun Monday it was all “garbage.”

He also told The Sun he was too busy with his plumbing business to be involved in politics.

However, in his letter to Trudeau, he says he is a political activist who has travelled to Geneva, Washington and New York to protest against the Indian government and to ask the United Nations to hold a referendum on Punjab independence.“Mr. Prime Minister, I want to bring it to your attention that the Indian government’s campaign to label me a terrorist started when I actively participated in a campaign to collect signatures on a complaint to the United Nations Human Rights Council,” the letter said.

“I am a Sikh nationalist who believes in and supports Sikhs’ right to self-determination and independence of Indian-occupied Punjab through a future referendum.”

Nijjar also claims that his family living in and visiting his home state of Punjab have been harassed by police because of his actions.

He said his father and brother were detained last year while visiting India and given a warning for him to curb his “anti-India campaign.”

Interpol has issued a warrant for Nijjar’s arrest based on information received from the Indian Central Bureau of Investigation.

Nijjar says in his letter that India “has blatantly abused its governmental authority” to place his name on the Interpol list without any justification.

And he wants Trudeau to intervene.

“I urge your administration to dispel the Indian government’s fabricated, baseless, fictitious and politically-motivated allegations against me,” Nijjar said.

He’s being assisted by New York lawyer Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, who flew to B.C. to meet the father of two.

Pannun told The Sun Wednesday that he intends to file a complaint with Interpol about the warrant being issued with no underlying evidence.

“We will seek information from them, what are the underlying charges … and how they got investigated and what Interpol did on their part to verify it. It’s their responsibility to look into it,” Pannun said.

He said a similar Interpol warrant against a Sikh separatist in Portugal was recently withdrawn after a challenge.

kbolan@postmedia.com

Hardy Grewal, Subway franchise kingpin, donates $1M to Concordia

Son of Indian farmers came to Canada with $7, former cabbie now owns 2,100 fast-food franchises

By Roberto Rocha, CBC News

Hardeep Singh Grewal, the son of Punjabi sugar-cane farmers, came to Canada from India in 1972 with $7 in his pocket.

Fast-forward 44 years, and the entrepreneur owns 2,100 Subway restaurant franchises in Ontario and the U.S.

Grewal now lives in California, but he stopped by Montreal to revisit his former home — and to donate $1 million to Concordia University to endow MBA scholarships at the John Molson School of Business.

“I achieved with hard work what I wanted to accomplish: my parents’ dream to get an education,” Grewal said at a ceremony at the university Monday.

In recognition for the gift, Concordia has renamed the atrium in the business school in his and his wife’s honour: It is to be called the Hardeep (Hardy) Singh Grewal and Patwant Kaur Grewal Atrium.

Grewal hopes he will inspire future entrepreneurs to work hard and achieve their goals.

“Just have a great work ethic,” Grewal said, when asked what advice he’d give students.

“Work hard, and you’ll get anywhere.”

Working all the time

To make ends meet while attending classes, Grewal worked several jobs, including driving a taxi at night.

“I was working part-time all the time. Wherever I could find a job, I made it happen,” he said.

Hoping to start a new life in California, Grewal and his brother pooled together all the money they had and bought a Subway franchise in Sylmar, a neighbourhood in Los Angeles.

He left his wife in charge of the restaurant, while he worked a job in finance.

“It was a simple business where you don’t have to cook. Just make money and deposit it in the bank,” he said.

But when he saw that the Subway was making more money than his main job, Grewal knew he was sitting on an opportunity. So he started buying more franchises and didn’t stop.

Today, he’s Subway’s master developer in southern Ontario, operating 260 stores in the region.

Along with hard work, he credits education for his success.

“My family was always talking about education. That was my motivation,” he said. “Nobody can take that away from you.”

Female Realtors warned after sex attack

 

 

 

Realtors are being warned after a man attacked a woman during a property showing on the weekend.

At about 4:10 p.m., Saturday, a realtor was sexually assaulted in North Surrey while she was holding an open house.

The woman was able to fight off the unknown attacker. The man then fled.

The suspect is described as an East Indian man in his late 20s to mid-40s, 5’5″ to 5’8″, with brown eyes and a dark well-groomed beard. He was wearing dark-coloured pants and a light-coloured shirt at the time. He had a white turban on and spoke with an accent.

Surrey RCMP Sgt. Alana Dunlop couldn’t say whether the attacker was injured by the woman’s defensive moves, or whether evidence was left at the scene, noting the investigation is still in the early stages.

The female realtor was not physically injured, but police are assuming she’s emotionally shaken by the attack.

It’s not the first time something like this has happened in B.C. – or Surrey.

In October 2007, another female real estate agent was showing a property in Surrey to two men she thought were prospective buyers. She was tied up and robbed before she was able to free herself and run to a nearby home for help.

Then in 2008, Lindsay Buziak died from multiple stab wounds in a home she was showing in Victoria.

President-elect of the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB), Gopal Sahota, said the most recent occurrence in Surrey was “very unfortunate.”

He said what happened is a rare occurrence and that there hasn’t been a report of an attack on a realtor while at work in the region since 2007.

He said the FVREB knows little about the weekend assault, adding the RCMP hasn’t contact the organization yet. The FVREB doesn’t know who was attacked.

“Other realtors are talking about it,” Sahota said, noting the “conversations need to be had when something does happen.”

He notes when incidents do occur, they typically involve females, but he warned both men and women need to exercise caution when showing homes.

The FVREB recommends using a buddy system wherever possible, he said.

Sahota emphasized, however, that the majority of the public is well-behaved.

“The criminal element, when they’re going to act on their criminal leanings, it’s really unfortunate,” Sahota said.

The FVREB is offering safety tips for realtors and is hosting a self-defence course next month. It will be held on May 24 at the FVREB offices near 104 Avenue and 154 Street. The course is for members only and will cost $40. Register through the learning centre at https://tlc.fvreb.bc.ca/index.php/login

Dunlop said the advice from police is the same they would offer anyone in a similar situation.

“You have to consider that when you’re advertising something publicly, the public can access it, and that can be anybody,” Dunlop said Monday. “The way you guard your safety in the public, you have to apply those principles in those (semi-private) situations as well.”

In general, the public should always be aware if they see something suspicious.

“Be aware of your surroundings,” Dunlop said. “Just because you are in a home, it doesn’t mean you need to put your guard down.”

She noted there’s no evidence the realtor on the weekend was less than cautious, but said it’s always good to “really have your personal safety in mind.”

Anyone with information about the attack, or anyone who saw anything unusual in the neighbourhood on Saturday afternoon, is asked to call Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or www.solvecrime.ca

 

Safety tips for realtors:

  • Your cellphone can be your best friend in a bad situation. Program 911 on your speed dial.
  • Have a pre-arranged distress signal. For example, “I’m at the Jones house and I need the red file right away.” Share and practise your distress code with your office, colleagues, family and friends. Use it any time you feel uneasy.
  • Tell someone who you are with, where you are going and when you will be back. Make sure someone else knows what your schedule is and who you’re planning to meet.
  • Limit the amount of personal information you share. Do not use your home phone number; use a cellphone number instead. Use your office address rather than your home address.
  • When you have new clients, meet them at the office first. Verify their identities. Note their car make and model, and licence plate number, and if you can, photocopy their driver’s licence. Complete a client identification orm. A serious client will not hesitate to share this information.
  • Often at an open house, you’ll be working alone. You won’t know who will show up, so take basic precautions to ensure your personal safety.

– the Canadian Real Estate Association

Public assistance requested in break and enter

Surrey: Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in identifying the suspect in  a break and enter to a residence in the City Centre area.

On March 27th, at 8:30am Surrey RCMP received a call from a female victim in her 80’s that an unknown male had entered her home in the 9300 block of 133A Street.  When she tried to call 911 the male locked the doors and took away her phone.  The male then searched her home, stole several items of value, and left.  The victim was not physically injured.

Surrey RCMP’s Robbery Unit is leading this investigation.  A neighborhood canvass was conducted to identify potential witnesses from the area.  Members from the Integrated Forensics Investigation Service (IFIS) were called to the scene to gather further evidence for forensic analysis.  In addition, an RCMP sketch artist was engaged and was able to produce a likeness of the suspect .

The suspect is described as a South Asian or Filipino male in his mid 30’s, 5’10” tall, with a muscular build .  The suspect was wearing an overly large black baseball cap with a brim that covered his ears, hair, and head. The suspect has “squinty” eyes and a very round head  with a short square chin.

“We’re hopeful that this composite sketch will lead to the eventual identification of the suspect,” says Cpl. Scotty Schumann. “Remember to keep your ground floor windows and doors locked, even when you are home, to reduce your risk of a break and enter.”

For more information on protecting your home and property, please see the Surrey RCMP’s website.

Anyone with more information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.solvecrime.ca.

Sexual Assault by Indo-Canadian man at 32500 South Fraser Way Business

Abbotsford: Police in Abbotsford is seeking public help to identify a Punjabi man wanted in sexual assault incident that took place at a South Fraser Way business.

On March 14, 2016, at approximately 8:50 pm, a man entered a store in the 32500 block of South Fraser Way.  He started a conversation with the lone female employee and followed her to the back of the store during which time he grabbed her and tried to kiss her.  She was able to push the male back; telling the suspect to get out.  The male then left the store.  The victim called the police.

The suspect is described a South Asian male in his late 20’s, standing approximately 6’1” tall with a thin build. The man has dark hair, a beard and acne.  He was wearing a black Puma track suit and black Adidas shoes.

 

Anyone with information about this investigation should contact the Abbotsford Police Department at 604-859-5225 or text 222973 (abbypd) or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477

Man charged in death of his 19-year-old cousin in northern Alberta

RCMP investigators have charged 25-year-old Parminder Sakhon with second degree murder following the death of his 19-year-old cousin.

Pardeep Sihu was found dead on New Year’s Day following a report of a shooting five kilometres north of Rochester.

Athabasca RCMP officers arrived at the property around 10:20 p.m. on Friday and arrested one man.

Sakhon is scheduled to make his first court appearance Tuesday morning.

Police have not said how the man died and an autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

Rochester is about 100 kilometres north of Edmonton.

By Kim Smith CTV

 

Lilly Singh ‘Superwoman’ makes Forbes 30 under 30 list

Singh, 27, named in Hollywood and entertainment category

CBC News

Toronto YouTube sensation Lilly Singh, a.k.a Superwoman, has hit another career milestone, making it on the Forbes 30 under 30 list.

The 27-year-old Canadian comedian was named in the Hollywood and Entertainment category.

Singh’s Superwoman YouTube channel features her standup act, and has over 7.5 million subscribers.

This isn’t the first time Singh has landed on a Forbes list.

Last year, the comedian made it on the Forbes list of YouTube millionaires.

Toronto’s Lilly Singh makes Forbes 30 Under 30 list. (Rick MatharuThe Canadian Press)

Singh was eighth on the list, earning $2.5 million.

She shared eighth place with prankster Roman Atwood and chef Rosanna Pansino.

Last year, Singh took her act on the road with a North American tour, with a stop in Toronto in June at the Danforth Music Hall.

Two other Toronto personalities have joined Singh on the list. They are musicians Shawn Mendes, 17, and The Weeknd, 25.

 

Indo Canadian Sex offender who was living in Surrey back in jail

By Sheila Reynolds,

Surrey North Delta Leader

A convicted, high-risk sex offender who took up residence in Surrey when he was released from jail in early 2014 is back in custody.

Surrey RCMP Cpl. Scotty Schumann confirmed Narindar Pal Wasan was arrested Oct. 9 when officers were checking up on him.

While one of the conditions of a February probation order was to abide by a daily 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew, he was not home when police dropped in after 10 p.m.

Wasan, 51, showed up shortly thereafter and was arrested.

B.C. Corrections issued a public notice when Wasan was released from prison in January 2014, warning he had a “versatile” pattern of sex offences as he had assaulted females of all ages. His lengthy criminal record dates back to 1986.

He served jail time for attacking a 52-year-old woman in a Vancouver park and for a prior assault of a 10-year-old girl outside an elementary school in Burnaby.

He also has a conviction for fondling a teen’s breasts in a SkyTrain station elevator.

The most recent curfew break is not the first time Wasan has not abided by his court-ordered conditions.

Records show he has breached his recognizance on several prior occasions, including in April, May, November and December last year.

He was also charged and found guilty of uttering threats last December, and with fear of injury/damage by another person just months before that.

His next court date is Oct. 30 for the probation breach.

(When he was released in January 2014, B.C. Corrections mis-spelled his first name as Narinder).

Indo-Canadian Woman, 70, dies after being hit by car

Delta Police seeking witnesses to a fatal pedestrian collision

Surrey/Delta-Police in Delta are seeking witnesses to an accident where a 70-year-old woman is dead after being struck by a car in Delta last weekend.

On Sunday, July 26 at approximately 2:04 pm, a woman was walking with her husband north on Scott Road at 72 Avenue.

She was struck by a car making a right turn from 72 Avenue onto Scott Road.

Police says the driver of the vehicle that struck the pedestrian remained on the scene and rendered assistance. The victim was transported to hospital for medical treatment. Sadly the victim, a 70yr old female resident of Delta, succumbed to her injuries at hospital with family by her side.

As a result of initial investigative efforts police believe there were witnesses to the collision that have not yet spoken to police.

In an effort to further the investigation Delta Police need to speak with several people at the scene that witnessed the collision and to please come forward and provide their information to police.

The Delta Police are continuing with their investigation into this collision. Police are asking these witnesses to contact Cst. Grayson Smith of the Delta Police Traffic Section at 604-946-4411 and quote file 15- 15680.