Extra officers will be out to deal with the higher volume of 9-1-1 calls seen at Halloween, providing a visible police presence in the Granville Entertainment District and added patrols near schools and parks.
We want to remind everyone to plan your ride home ahead of time if you’re going to be consuming alcohol.
Costume weaponry has been an issue for police in past years, from replica handguns to hatchets and swords. We are asking people to use common sense and ensure their costume weapon of choice is readily identifiable as an imitation.
Halloween Safety Tips from Vancouver Police
- wear bright costumes or include reflective tape, glow sticks, flashlights or other articles that improve visibility
- use face paint or make-up instead of a mask
- younger kids should trick or treat with an adult, older kids should be in a group
- stay in well-lit areas and only go to houses that have lights on
- drivers are reminded to be patient and be aware of the children who may be excited, darting around neighbourhoods and not looking for cars