Halloween is a very exciting time for children and often the last thing on their minds as they head out the door for an evening of trick or treating, is safety. This is where parents, guardians and care givers need to step up to ensure their evening is not marred by an accident which could have prevented.
Here are a few safety tips to follow.
- ensure your little goblins can see from behind their mask, make sure they are wearing comfortable footwear and their costumes are reflective
- only trick or treat at houses where lights are on
- never eat treats until an adult has inspected them
- Adults should carry a flashlight with them
- walk only on the sides of roads or sidewalks
- slow down and expect children to pop out at any time from any direction
- be prepared to react, stay alert
- when handing out candy, ensure your porch light is left on and your walkway is clear of debris that could cause a child to fall.
Nanaimo Police Department