Home News Taxi Driver Arminder Singh Jailed Over Fatal Crash In Australia

Taxi Driver Arminder Singh Jailed Over Fatal Crash In Australia

MELBOURNE  – A 30-year-old Indian-origin taxi driver in Australia has been sentenced two years in prison, suspended after four months, on charges of dangerously operating a vehicle that caused the death of a man last year.

Arminder Singh was sentenced on Friday after he pleaded guilty to the charges.

“It was a short-lived mistake with catastrophic consequences,” judge Brian Devereaux told Singh, as he sentenced him in Brisbane district court recently.

Dean Thomasson, 47, was on his way home to Cornubia where he lived with his parents when he was hit by the cab driven by Singh late one July night last year.

Dean later died from his fatal injuries.

“He was the love of our lives,” Helen Thomasson, mother of Dean who was deaf from a young age, said.

“When we got the phone call to come and identify him, 12 months ago today, it broke our hearts,” she said.

The court heard that Singh, who was now an Australian citizen, has a wife and a baby in India.

It was told that his jail term would affect the family as there was no social security in India.

Devereaux sentenced him to two years, suspended after four months, and banned him from driving for nine months.

Most Popular

How to Safely Celebrate Easter and Passover

Though it may not be quite the same as past holidays, this Easter, Passover or any other event can still be filled with love,...

Magic Days Coming to Museum of Surrey

Surrey, BC – Lon Mandrake, magician, and son of the late famous Mandrake the Magician, will perform a little abracadabra at Museum of Surrey on...

TransLink completes modernization of 1980s-era SkyTrain technology

NEW WESTMINSTER: TransLink has replaced aging speakers and signs on the SkyTrain system by installing 280 new customer information screens and over 1,400 new...

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Abbotsford Regional Hospital

SURREY – Fraser Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Abbotsford Regional Hospital after evidence of transmission in a medicine unit. Four patients at Abbotsford Regional...